Welcome to Recreation Administration!
The Recreation Administration Programs offer a Bachelor (BARA) and a Master of Arts in Recreation Administration (MARA) degree. The undergraduate degree program has been (since 2000) one of 80+ university programs accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Related Professions (COAPRT/NRPA). The BARA degree program strives to prepare students to become Certified Park and Recreation Professionals and marketable first-line supervisors. The Recreation Administration degrees offered at the University of Mississippi combine traditional classroom education with service learning-based interdisciplinary approaches which prepare students to become professionals in a variety of recreation, leisure, tourism, and sport settings.
Students that graduate from the University of Mississippi with a degree in Recreation Administration have chosen careers within municipal, outdoor, therapeutic, military, church, youth, older adult, commercial and tourism, and governmental agencies in Mississippi and throughout the country.
We will offer Mississippi’s foremost service-learning based recreation education focused on matriculating qualified students prepared for careers that improve the health and quality of life for all people.
The degree programs in Recreation Administration provide an experiential education that prepares present and future recreation professionals for careers that improve the health and quality of life for all people.
This mission is achieved by:
- Maintaining an accredited (National Recreation and Park Association/COPART) undergraduate curriculum.
- Providing education that prepares students to become Certified Park and Recreation Professionals, Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists and/or Certified Park and Recreation Executives.
- Establishing relationships with public, commercial, and not-for-profit recreation organizations committed to improving the health and quality of life of all people..
Rho Phi Lambda
The Ole Miss Recreation Administration degree program has the chapter name Alpha Xi of Rho Phi Lambda. This organization is an honorary professional recreation, park, and leisure service fraternity.
The purpose of this organization is to:
- Recognize superior recreation/parks/leisure majors;
- Encourage development of professional standards;
- Stimulate personal development and professional growth;
- Recognize those persons who have made outstanding contributions to the field of recreation/parks/leisure.
The University of Mississippi received Charter status in 2003.