Welcome to Recreation Administration!
The Recreation Administration Programs offer a Bachelor (BARA) and a Master of Arts in Recreation Administration (MARA) degree. The undergraduate degree program has been (since 2000) one of 80+ university programs accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Related Professions (COAPRT/NRPA). The BARA degree program strives to prepare students to become Certified Park and Recreation Professionals and marketable first-line supervisors. The Recreation Administration degrees offered at the University of Mississippi combine traditional classroom education with service learning-based interdisciplinary approaches which prepare students to become professionals in a variety of recreation, leisure, tourism, and sport settings.
Students that graduate from the University of Mississippi with a degree in Recreation Administration have chosen careers within municipal, outdoor, therapeutic, military, church, youth, older adult, commercial and tourism, and governmental agencies in Mississippi and throughout the country.
We will offer Mississippi’s foremost service-learning based recreation education focused on matriculating qualified students prepared for careers that improve the health and quality of life for all people.
The degree programs in Recreation Administration provide an experiential education that prepares present and future recreation professionals for careers that improve the health and quality of life for all people.
This mission is achieved by:
- Maintaining an accredited (National Recreation and Park Association/COPART) undergraduate curriculum.
- Providing education that prepares students to become Certified Park and Recreation Professionals, Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists and/or Certified Park and Recreation Executives.
- Establishing relationships with public, commercial, and not-for-profit recreation organizations committed to improving the health and quality of life of all people.
The Ole Miss Recreation Administration degree program has the chapter name Alpha Xi of Rho Phi Lambda. This organization is an honorary professional recreation, park, and leisure service fraternity.
The purpose of this organization is to:
- Recognize superior recreation/parks/leisure majors;
- Encourage development of professional standards;
- Stimulate personal development and professional growth;
- Recognize those persons who have made outstanding contributions to the field of recreation/parks/leisure.
Eligibility of Active Members:
The qualifications for students to be eligible for active membership in Rho Phi Lambda involve scholarship, leadership and service. The candidate will be evaluated in all three areas.
Section 1. Scholarship Requirements:
- The undergraduate student’s overall grade point average must rank in the upper fifteen percent of overall grade point average for all Recreation Administration major students at the University of Mississippi or have a minimum overall grade point average of 3.0 based upon a four point system.
- The undergraduate student must be in the top fifteen percent of have a 3.2 average in Recreation Administration courses whichever is higher.
- The undergraduate student must have completed 45 semester hours of which at least 9 semester hours are required professional courses (RA 194, 200 301, 425, 471).
- The graduate student must have a minimum grade point average of 3.5 and completed 9 semester hours of professional courses.
Section 2. Leadership Requirement:
- Substantial evidence or documentation of outstanding leadership.
Section 3. Service Requirements:
- Substantial evidence or documentation of service to campus and/or community.
- Student must accrue 3.0 documented Recreation Administration Continuing Education units (RACEs).
The University of Mississippi received Charter status in 2003.