What is YMHFA?
Youth Mental Health First Aid is a public health national certification course designed to teach parents, school staff, caregivers, teachers, peers, health and human service workers and other caring citizens the skill necessary to respond with care and support to Mississippi’s youth (ages 12-18) experiencing mental health or substance concerns.
WHO SHOULD KNOW MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID:
- School Staff
- Camp Counselors
- Youth Group Leaders
- Adults who work with youth
WHAT MENTAL HELATH FIRST AID COVERS:
- Commons signs and symptoms of mental health challenges in the age group, including anxiety, depression, eating disorders and attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD)
- Common signs and symptoms of substance use challenges
- How to interact with a child or adolescent in crisis
- How to connect the youth with help
- Expanded content on trauma, substance use, self-care and the impact of social media and bullying
Click here for more information